Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What is Writers' Bloc?

At the corner of happy and infuriating, you'll find Writers' Bloc--an entire city block filled with skyscrapers.  Each building is filled to the brim with writers past and present, distinguished and amateur--each working night and day to write beautifully and to fulfill their dream.  I am living to share a place in the Writers' Bloc.

You might be wondering who I am.  I am still pondering that age-old question, but I've worked out a few of the details.  I am a person who values people as individuals, each with their own story and their own voice.  I feel an innate drive to defend voices that cannot or will not be heard.  This fuels a passion to write realistic fiction with a focus on humanity.  Yet, to focus on life is to have the world at one's finger tips.  Therefore my scope must narrow (due to my own mischievous pleasure) to stories that make readers think.  I may be able to create the world, but readers must experience it in their own way.


As with any writer, there are obstacles to overcome in the writing process.  A widely popular blockade to writers is discipline.  I have a shameful disciplinary problem.  Those who know me well will find this irony quite amusing and some may even find it hard to believe.  Nevertheless, it is my unfavorable condition.  Hence the reason I am writing today--I am working to cure my dilemma by posting flash fictions and short writing exercises.


As a forewarning, in college I was told by a friend that I should never censor my narrator, and I never intend to do so.  Whatever the context demands, I am not one to shy away from the challenging material that may follow.  Also, a favorite exercise of mine is to write 69er flash fictions.  To briefly summarize, 69er flash fictions are stories or vignettes that contain exactly 69 words, excluding the title.  I find them incredibly invigorating to write; plus I enjoy educating people on the existence of 69ers ... in fiction, that is.


I hope readers may find my work entertaining and thought provoking, and in no way, shape, or form do I write autobiographies or characterize people from my life into my stories.  I focus on humanity and human conditions.  Any event or similarity is completely coincidental.  


Follow me on Twitter @readnwrite08.

No comments:

Post a Comment