Monday, June 3, 2013

Letters from A.R.E., Seventh of Seven, 30 July 18--

Truly, if you were but a gentleman, I could address your latest letter in courteous terms, yet I find myself unable to even extend an amiable greeting!  This hackneyed display of incessant passion and devotion does not convince me even in the slightest of its sincerity.  You, my dear sir, I am now sure--hearing from a mutual acquaintance just before receiving your post--have never in your some five and thirty years expressed any emotion in truth.  Therefore, I am forced to deduce that this is all a rouse and not to be taken to heart, as a result, can you be astonished with my reaction of nothing less than hostility?  I will not be played as a doll, and I will not 'grace you' as you say, with my presence this coming season.  I wish you a bon vie, monsieur. --A.R.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment